- Chefs create their Best Ōra King dish in line with this year’s theme, Sustain.
- Entries are submitted online including an image, description and explanation of the inspiration behind the dish. Head office and their advising panel will determine the semi-finalists. There is no cost to enter; chefs must enter individually (not in a partnership); chefs may only enter one dish.
- Six semi-finalists from each region will have their restaurant visited and their Best Ōra King Dish tasted by two judges.
- Three finalists from each region will be flown to New Zealand in October for the Awards Celebration from October 13 – 17.
- One winner from each region will be awarded the Ōra King Best Dish award at the Ōra King Awards Ceremony on October 15.
- The best entries will be featured in a book of sustainable food stories published later this year.
The national and international finalists will be flown to Nelson, New Zealand for an all expenses paid celebration in October.
It is a money can’t buy opportunity to network with other world-class chefs while experiencing the best of our region’s produce and culture, including an artisan producer tour in Marlborough.
The tour will also include visits to our aquaculture facilities in Golden Bay, Nelson and the Marlborough Sounds to learn about how we grow our unique breed of King salmon.
The celebration culminates in a prestigious awards ceremony where the Best Dish winners from each region are announced.
May 7. Entries open.
July 31. Entries close.
August 12. Six semi-finalists from each region are announced. These chefs will have their Best Ōra King dish tasted by two judges.
September 16. Three finalists from each region are announced. Finalists are invited to New Zealand and travel is booked. Finalist video and photo shoots will take place.
October 13 – 17. Awards celebration in New Zealand. The winners are announced on October 15.
To be eligible for this competition, applicants must:
- Be a professional chef that uses Ōra King and has listed it on their menu during 2019. Applicants may be asked to provide proof of this by submitting an image of either Ōra King listed on their menu, or of an Ōra King gill tag.
- Use Ōra King as the salmon component in their competition dish.
- Be available on the judging dates.
- Be available to feature in a video shoot and photoshoot preparing their entry dish, during September.
- Give consent for their image, video and entry dish to be featured on promotional material by Ōra King.